Sunday, February 15, 2009

Copyright "Censorship"

I have come to the opinion that companies are shooting themselves in the foot with this strict, draconian enforcement of copyrights online. By "companies", I mean ALL media companies: music, TV, motion picture, video games, ect. They all make forced deletion of ANYthing that they believe violates their copyright, (or harrass/threaten posters until they "voluntarily" remove their content). This has the same effect as "censorship" of anything copyrighted.

I think that they're losing more in publicity than they're gaining in sales. I actually "shop" for music on youtube... it beats 30 second samples of music from amazon or similar sites. The videos that got me to buy CDs by certain obscure bands: gone. The videos that made Supreme Commander look so awesome I bought it: gone. In some cases, I no longer remember the names of the bands or songs I was looking at on youtube. That's lost sales, right there. So, in my mind, allowing content to be leaked is as good or better than a trailer. But, of course, in the eyes of the companies, I'm just a twisted anti-captialist marxist thieving internet pirate... just like every other one of their customers.

I'm starting to seriously wonder... how long can one treat their customer base like vermin and stay in business? In the case of the media companies, might not be as long as they think...

"Music sales fell to their lowest level in at least 10 years..."

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/18/technology/music.php

"...14.5% fall in overall DVD sales last year."

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2009/tc2009024_458580.htm?campaign_id=rss_tech

No comments: